We have a tradition that Craig started in our family a number of years ago. Every year, on Christmas Eve, we go on a 'Mary and Joseph' hike. We hike somewhere different each year and use the time to talk about the significant journey that Mary and Joseph took to Bethlehem. It seems that each year there is something that prevents this great tradition from happening the way it's suppose to. For example, it's been raining here for the past few days so everything is very wet and muddy - probably not good hiking. Craig is determined though so he came up with our plan. We 'hiked' the paved trail by our house to the downtown to get some hot chocolate at Peet's. Not a typical hike, but it works (however, Peet's was closed when we got there - kind of a let down). As we 'hiked' yesterday we reflected on our past 'Mary and Joseph' hikes and realized that we've often had creative hikes. Last year was normal - we hiked Mt. Diablo - but it was extremely cold, I remember that. Two years ago I was very pregnant (Bryant was born 3 days after Christmas) and not able to walk much so we went to the Highland High School track in AZ and did our 'hike'. The year before that we were in Utah and all deathly ill so I believe Craig took a few kids on a little hike in the woods around Grandpa & Grandma Bruschke's house. I believe the year before that we 'hiked' the hill in my parents backyard. It's amazing how life happens and you do what you can. I appreciate Craig's dedication to this tradition. Against all odds - he will figure it out.
Hope all our friends and family have a very Merry Christmas!!






5 comments:
Wow, Ashlyn is growing up so fast. It is makes you guys look older. I'm sure my turn will come soon enough.
What a wonderful tradition - even if it doesn't quite turn out like you think it will! We certainly have missed your family this holiday - last year was such a perfect time together! Hopefully we truly will see you all soon! Lots of love!
That's cute that Craig is so determined to make this happen. Sounds like a great tradition. I'd adopt it, if we all had snow shoes.
Cami, I think John and Craig are so much alike. John is always taking our kids hiking too.. I need to go more. When I first looked at the picture of your family on this post... I thought Ashlyn was YOU... that's how grown up she is looking. I can't believe it. Happy New Year!
Was that a compliment from your sister? I personally think you look fabulous! Young and fabulous :) So when is our next trip / couples & or girls? I am itching for something! Glad you had a great holiday.
Post a Comment