Sorry about all my travels blogging but since this is also our family journal, I want to record all our experiences here. This past weekend I went to Penang which is a small island in Malaysia. Craig travels there often for work and he was there last week. A coworker of his invited him to his wedding to take place on Saturday so I decided to fly up and meet him there and attend the wedding. Georgetown (city in Penang) is an UNESCO World Heritage Site due to the history and architecture. Penang, like Singapore, was once a British colony so this is a great deal of colonial architecture, which I love. I flew up early Friday morning and spent Friday touring Georgetown on my own (Craig was working). I took a few self guided walking tours around the city. I love history and I love architecture so I was in heaven.



Like Singapore, Malaysia has alot of diversity in terms of cultures and religions. Within about one square mile, I walked by an Anglican Church, a Mosque, a Hindu temple and a Buddist Temple. Temples and churches like these dotted the cities.
I toured a Chinese aristocratic mansion - beautiful and fascinating. When I got out of the tour it was raining so I ran over to the Eastern and Oriental Hotel - considered one of the most elegant in the orient - and had a chocolate croissant and some hot chocolate. They brought me a whole tea kettle full of the best hot chocolate so I sat at the table drinking hot chocolate for quite some time. Sometimes I feel guilty for loving solitude so much.
Friday night Craig and I met up and had dinner by the beach - in the resort area of the island. Saturday we visited a huge Buddhist Temple up in the hills of Penang before heading to the wedding and then the airport. It was a quick trip but such a nice one. Penang is a beautiful place - I especially loved all the rolling green hills (Sinapore is very flat). I was proud of myself for traveling all alone - that used to scare me but I'm getting more used to traveling in Asia and was comfortable. I also enjoyed being able to do things that my children would never have tolerated (all the walking tours). It was also wonderful to spend the weekend with Craig.






3 comments:
That sounds wonderful--it reminded me of when I would wander around London by myself for hours on end. Sometimes I would visit the chocolate cafe at Harrods and get a frozen hot chocolate--your experience brought all those memories to mind. I say enjoy the solitude when you get it!
Wow! Looks amazing!
Wish I could have gone with you. Looks like an interesting place. Love the picture of you on the beach, so pretty.
Post a Comment