Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Grocery Shopping

In an effort to record more day to day happenings in our lives here I thought I'd share my weekly grocery shopping routine. Once a week, usually Mondays, I drop Bryant off to school around 1 and then head to my grocery store of choice - Fairprice Extra. I usually take the train there - takes about 45 minutes (good reading time). It took me about a year to stumble on this great find - it's like a grocery mega store. They have many brands that I know and it's the Fairprice chain (local) which tend to be cheaper. Without Costco, it's quite the weekly stock-up. Needless to say, I get lots of attention with my full cart. People don't just stare - they gawk. Most the Asians carry a small basket around to fit what they need - considering they usually have small families, eat out more (in local hawker centers), and probably shop more often. I definitely draw alot of attention - every week.


Once I'm loaded up, I head up the escalator two floors (
the grocery stores are usually in the basement of the mall)tothe taxi queue . The taxi driver that get me probably rolls his eyes when he sees my load - but most are good sports. They always comment on my load - all I have to say is '5 kids'. It takes about 20 minutes to get home in the taxi. That's a grocery shopping afternoon. There is a small grocery store right up the street - by Bryant's school. I frequent that store almost daily - for those things I forget, run out of, or just decide I need (like that Ben & Jerry's ice cream I often crave). It took me a while to get into a grove, settle on the right store, and figure out the food/brands but after almost two years here, think I got it down pretty good.

4 comments:

Sarah Plewe said...

I love it! Now I just need to experience some of it with you!!! I am still praying that we can make it work to come over fall break in October!

Megan Bruschke said...

I can't believe that you have been there almost 2 years! Love hearing about the day to day - I always dreamed of living in a city - mostly San Francisco and I always thought that shopping in the little corner stores would be charming - I have since changed my tune after having a number of friends who have had that experience and have convinced me that it is anything but charming to spend the kind of money you have to spend and then find some sort of transportation for all the groceries - as in most cases, the dream is far more wonderful than the reality!
Love to all your family!

Anna said...

About a week before I delivered Ella, I filled my cart up at Fair Price and unloaded it in my car, then went back the two escalators and filled her up again to overflowing. The ladies at the check out were flabbergasted to say the least to see the huge prego westerner back for more. It was quite funny and almost put me in labor trying to control those all- wheel carts. . .

Megan Bruschke said...

It's me again! I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday! I don't have an email address for you for some reason, so this was my way of letting you know that I am thinking of you on your birthday!