I've been working on this post for a while in my head. I thought it would be fun to record some of our initial likes and dislikes of Singapore. So, so far, here's what we love and what we're trying to get used to.
Trying to Get Used To:
The Smells
It's not a stinky country - it's actually very clean. However, with the different cultures come many smells that we're not used to. For example, pictured here is a native fruit that is popular with the locals. It's called Durian and it smells really bad. It smells so bad, in fact, that it's banned from public transportation - no smoking, no weapons, and no durian. Apparently it tastes different that it smells, however, someone bought us some durian cream puffs and they were so bad that for a few weeks we joked with the kids if they said yucky words than they'd have to eat the durian. They also use many spices in the cooking that we're not so fond of smelling. Our neighbors are a different ethnicity and their cooking often puts off strong odors. I get really mad at the kids when they don't shut the back door - it's hard for me to take some of the smells. Maybe in time, I'll be cooking like that too!No Good Cheese!
Cheese here is rare, very expensive, and not as good. We are such cheese eaters (like our quesadillas every Sunday) so it's been hard to get used to major cutbacks in this area. I also love to cook lots of mexican and italian food - both using lots of varieties of cheese impossible to now find (although, I've been given some shopping tips lately so their is hope). I did make enchiladas the other day and I think it cost me about $20. We're missing good mexican food!
The Weather
We've gotten pretty used to the humidity here - it's actually not too bad. You sweat alot, especially when you run, but it's actually quite cleansing. There are some days that are better than others. There is alot of cloud cover and that helps keep the heat down. The hard thing to get used to is the sudden rain showers. We are living in a Rainforest! We have been caught many of times in an unexpected, sudden downpour of rain. We've learned that an umbrella is something you definitely never leave home without. The funny thing is, sometimes it will only last 10 minutes.
Random Household Things
Some other things that we're trying to get used to are: lots of stairs (Bryant keeps asking if we can PLEASE get and elevator), no garbage disposals, dishwasher outside the kitchen and small European washer and dryers that take like 3 hours to run a load (no more one laundry day a week).
Things We Love:
Our House and Neighborhood
The School
We love the kids school. So far it's been such a wonderful experience. It's a very large school but they do a good job at not making it feel that way. We look forward to experiencing all the educational, recreational, and cultural opportunities the school provides.
The Beauty of the Rainforest
What we pay for in rain and humidity, we enjoy in the lush landscape around us. Singapore is really a beautiful place.
So Much to Do and See
We haven't made a dent yet in all there is to do and see around this small island.
You'll have to stay tuned and keep checking back to see pictures as we visit and experience all Singapore has to offer.
The Diversity
I think this is one of my absolute favorite things about Singapore. It's such a melting pot of cultures, religions, and people from all over the world.
And of course trying all the different foods (sometimes a bit scary - but fun).
Hopefully this gives you a little glimpse into our life and adventures here in Singapore. Luckily we love alot more than we are having to get used to. We love experiencing this all together as a family and look forward to traveling to other countries around us together. We also love our ward - so many great people. It's such a blessing to have the church - a rock where ever you go.
Hopefully this will entice visitors!






3 comments:
I figured I'd check your blog when you emailed me the pictures! Thanks for those and good job! I am proud of you :-) It is fun to catch a glimpse of your life in Singapore! I am wishing we were going on a girls trip in October - it feels like almost a tradition to head to Idaho that time of year! So I guess I put that down as one of my "dislikes" of your adventure!!! Keep your posts coming sister!
Singapore looks like a lovely place. I love the picture of the little China town. The lanterns are beautiful. I think we would die without cheese too. Your new calling sounds great especially getting to work with those ladies from different countries. This is such a cool opportunity for you and your family.
WOW, Cami! What a marvelous experience you are already having! I LOVED the picture from China town! Keep the posts coming, we are LOVING living through you!
Post a Comment